Front Brake Pads and ....

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Front Brake Pads and ....

Postby Chris da Silva » Mon Jun 13, 2022 08:27

Does anyone know where I can get replacement front brake pads for an EA21R? The part number listed in the parts book for this item is 55200-62840 and it's discontinued! (What???)

There's another item I need; and that is also discontinued! This second part is the throttle body, Part #13400-80F60.

This is because I was advised by the chief technician who was working on my Cappo that the plunger is missing [from the throttle body] when I had the car serviced just a couple of weeks ago! (That plunger, as it happens, is an integral part of the throttle body.)

Saying that, can the plunger be obtained separately? And if so, does anyone know the part number? But if not, I will have to go for the whole throttle body assembly!

Thanks if anyone can help.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Front Brake Pads and ....

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Jun 13, 2022 14:05

Link for the pads: https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/search.html?partNo=55182-81400

Lots of aftermarket options shown.

Link for the Throttle Body: https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/search.html?partNo=13400-80F60

Very expensive! I don't see a plunger in the Parts Manual. Could the mechanic perhaps identify what he means from the diagram?

Btw, we don't have a Parts Manual for the AZ1, but here's a link https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/mazda/az-1. You may need to get your browser to translate from Russian!
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Jun 14, 2022 03:02

Hello Ian

Re plunger, here is the quote from the mechanic as written in the service invoice: " .... Found throttle body missing plunger. Unable to get plunger individually, will require new throttle body. Car still drives but recommend throttle body replacement."

Unfortunately, that leaves me no choice but to get a new throttle body unit since the plunger is not listed as a separate part!

Re Parts Manual for the AZ-1, I already bought one on line - but it's all in Japanese which means I have to use my imagination to work through it. (Isn't it strange that there is a Russian-language version but not English; bearing in mind that English is the most widely-spoken language in the world.)

I now need a Service/Workshop Manual for the AZ-1. Do you know whether they do one is English?
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15

Looking at the EA21R Parts Catalog, the only plunger I can envisage would be something to do with the cooling water which is shown piped to the throttle body. I expect that is something to do with cold engine idle control, and the plunger would be something often called a waxstat, i,e, a valve which opens/closes depending on cooling water temperature. They have a limited life, and Suzuki are known not to provide them as spares. I'm guessing the previous owner had problems with it, and removed it.

Perth doesn't have very cold winters, afaik, so, if your car's idle speed is satisfactory when cold and hot, I'd suggest you consider whether you really need to spend all that lolly on a new throttle body, bearing in mind that the waxstat would have been manufactured many years ago, and may have a very limited life once fitted.

Russia is a very large market for used Japanese cars (Vladivostok is quite close), so that would explain the effort by the parts company to translate the catalog. English speaking countries - not so much. Mazda/Suzuki did not write English Service Manuals for the AZ1/Cara, and I don't think the parts company would have translated the Japanese one.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Jun 15, 2022 06:51

Hello Ian. Thanks for your informative message.

FYI, the complete throttle body unit (Part #: 13400-80F60) is no longer available. But out of curiosity, has this been superseded by a more up-to-date unit?

I came across a similar situation when I was looking at getting a holder for the emergency flashing light beacon not that long ago, if you can recall. The original part number was no longer available; but a replacement/superseded part was, and it had a different part number. And that was when I ordered it from Suzuki who had it in stock, much to my relief!

I'm sensing a similarity here ....

In the meantime, I'll try scouring through eBay and see what turns up.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:07

Beware of a used throttle body - it may have a faulty waxstat, or the plunger may have been removed, if it is a commonly known fix in Japan, so you would be no better off.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07

I found one on the internet saying that it has been rebuilt. I wonder whether it has a faulty waxstat or its plunger has been removed....
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General