Suzuki X90 - 'C***p' Or Not

Discuss other 'Zukis and other Kei class cars here

Moderator: Steering Group

Suzuki X90 - 'C***p' Or Not

Postby Ian Izzard » Thu Oct 14, 2004 17:18

I read the following story on the BBC News website today about the 'Crappiest' cars in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3742504.stm

The author of 'Crap Cars' (not linked to the BBC), rated the Suzuki X90 as the 3rd crappiest car in the UK.

I have only seen these, and have never been in one, but they look OK to me.

Unfortunately, the story doesn't give a link to the Author's story, so we can't see why he has rated the X90 in 3rd place to see if any of his views are valid or not.

I am sure Ian Linden will disagree with the author, as he has recently purchased one.
Ian Izzard

Postby Ken Malone » Thu Oct 14, 2004 20:01

I think it's much more likely that the book is crxp rather than the cars.

There's a series of these books - Crxp Towns is another - (Bedford was deemed 'worst' I believe) It's cheap publishing rubbish - books for morons. Nicely positioned to grab the Xmas stocking filler market!

How anyone can include the Beetle (with it's history) and the Lada (with its history and pedigree) in a top 5 of worst cars ever beats me.

I don't know the X90 personally but I've liked what I've seen of them... and if Ian Linden's bought one that's enough recommendattion for me.
Ken Malone

Postby Brendan Molony » Fri Oct 15, 2004 08:40

Remember, these books are normally only expressing one person's opinion. :) You have to read the book (or browse on the book shelf to find the arguement!)

I have found over time that my own tastes have changed, what I thought was a good or bad car yesterday may not fall into that same category today, though there are many where my opinion has not after after driving them.

You just have to look at the letter sections of various car magazines where poeple are making comments one way or the other about a given car to see that what is one (wo)man's treasure is another's rubbish.
Brendan Molony

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45

Thanks, one and all, for the vote of confidence :D

Y'know, I don't mind a bit about that book. Author doesn't know what he's missing. And if people are silly enough to believe him; great - keeps the price low for those who aren't :wink:
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Mugs!!

Postby Ken Malone » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:01

Right on Ian - it's like the clowns that say the Cappo is just a toy car ha ha!!!
Good news for the rest of us who are wiser :cheers:
Ken Malone

Postby Alex Clouter » Fri Oct 15, 2004 22:04

As "they" say, beauty's in the eyes of the beholder....
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Murray Betts » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:56

Putting aside the tabloid approach to this by the author and the BBC, it would appear, you have to weigh cars (and any product come to that) on an individual basis.

I've only driven a couple of Beetles, and have to say I thought they lived down to the description in the article. OK they were fairly elderly well-used examples, but noise, lack of performance, nervous handling, minimal comfort, little refinement, just made them bad cars. Good for 1948, but not for the last 25yrs. If I lived in the middle of Brazil, it'd be ideal, same as a Mahindra would be a reasonable choice in India, but here? No thanks.

A friend was one of a group of folks who went over to East Germany shortly after the wall came down and they bought a dozen or so of the "last off the line" Trabants from the factory in Zwickau. That was so bad it was good! The front and rear seat coverings didn't match (both sort of tan, but clearly very different colour). I've never known a 500cc 2-stroke twin be so awful, vibration was diabolical. Brakes? - probably, somewhere. In it's favour (I think) it cost about £1500 all in.

The X90 is a different animal. Technically it's fine as far as I can see, just standard Suzuki stuff. It's just a very eccentric bit of bodywork. Doesn't make it bad, any more than an estate or coupe or a Fiat Multiplas is bad, but it probably won't suit everyone. I have to say I can't quite see the point, but cr@p? No, I doubt it.

Morris Marina? yep, that was! 8O
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ken Malone » Sat Oct 16, 2004 13:37

This 'list' mentality negates all aspects of time - and time relevance. I actually agree with your comments about the Beetle (I once tried to sleep in one - not advised...and hated driving it) but as the German 1930's people's car and wartime Kublewagen there is surely a history factor that can't be ignored. Similarly the 2CV - a ground-breaking concept in 1948 which survives still... so what's the criteria? One could also look at the Communist antecedents of the Lada Riva as well. OK it might look like a dog and drive like a van on remoulds - but hey.. there's a bit of history there too. I've not driven a Multiplas but it certainly looks like a mutant dog to me.

Ultimately its all down to personal taste but surely there are some boundaries?? The Beetle might not be your favourite car of all time - but surely only an idiot would deem it to be crxp!!!!
Ken Malone

VW-CRAP CAR

Postby John R Walters » Sat Oct 16, 2004 18:13

VW Beetel a Crap Car! Some crap, some car.

Try this link www.rallybugs.com/safari.htm for history of sheer ruggedness.

Not too many cars operated in Antartica!
John R Walters
Message Board Afficionado
Message Board Afficionado

Postby Ken Malone » Sat Oct 16, 2004 19:29

Not many cars conquered Europe either or survived the Russian Front!!

http://www.voitures-d-ingenieurs.com/kubelwagen.htm :devil:
Ken Malone

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Oct 17, 2004 00:11

I wouldn't decry the Beetle. Lots of Germans still love them and import them from Brazil.

I've seen a clutch change on a Beetle done in 15 minutes. 5 to take the engine out, 5 to change the clutch, and 5 to replace the engine 8) .

Mind, there is the old joke about "Why does it have two exhaust pipes?".
So when its done the 80,000 miles you can turn it over and use it as a wheelbarrow :D

This was in the 50's, when 80,000 miles was a notable total for a car to reach, and VW used to advertise it as a reasonable expectation. Which it was.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Richard Cox » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:56

Just to say that Top Gear ran an extra in one of their mags a few months back, and they had the x-90 as the worst car ever made! If I remember correctly though it was more to do with the concept of a 2 seater 4x4 more than anything.

I can only remember seeing one and thought it looked really cool! different just like the capp.

Richard
Richard Cox

Postby Ken Malone » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:36

I too have never seen one in real life - in fact never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago. But it looks like the thinking behind the X90 is in the same ballpark as the Cappo.

Take a look here http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/x90.htm

Mind you it's Chacun a son gout as always of course. :wink:

followed by Caveat Emptor???? :rolling:
Ken Malone

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Oct 20, 2004 13:33

Well, it is a Top Gear trademark to make semi-outrageous statements in an utterly dogmatic fashion - viz. the "cool wall", and I do recall that Mr "engage mouth before brain" (can't remember his name but you will know who I mean) did a feature on the Cappo where he pretended he could not get his legs into it.

So it's all of a piece really.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Alex Clouter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 13:57

As I understand it from Suzuki's PR Department in Japan, the X-90 was developed for the American market, combining the 4x4 renown/ pricing of the Vitara (aka Geo Tracker) with the versatility of an "adaptation" of the Cappuccino hard top.

It came in two versions, 2wd (rear wheel driven) and 4wd powered by the Vitara 1.6 litre engine.

The Jimny and Grand Vitara were the natural successors of the older Vitara/ X-90 4x4 ranges.
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Oct 20, 2004 20:30

Actually, I think the Jimny is more of a replacement for the Sammy (Samurai).

Image Sammy

Image Jimny
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Michael Krellowetz » Wed Oct 27, 2004 22:33

When my sister traded in her Miata (MX5) for a Vitara X-90 in '96 everyone condemned her for that wacky idea - me, too :oops:
A car like a tank (concerning handling, fuel consumption and performance) with that narrow boot and passenger capability for only two! A car round like an egg when Ford invented the "new edge design"! How could this ugly and impractical car replace a roadster icon of the early 90th like the Mazda?
Why not buying a Vitara when an off-road vehicle is wanted? Why not
keeping the MX5 when you feel attracted by an open top sportscar?
The X90 had many capabilities but in none of them it pretended to be a geek.
In fact, time was not ripe for the first real crossover vehicle or SUV.
Time and state of mind have both tremendously changed since then...
Today an X90 is situated in the neighbour village (as one of the very last of them) and as an uncontrolled reflex I tend to raise my hand for waving and greeting everytime it passes my way.
Is it because of the close relationship to the Cappo or is it the fact I meanwhile really do like automotive statements far beyond the mainstream of those faceless BMWs, Volkswagens or Mercedes'?
Today I can forgive my sister for the very soon trading in the X90 but if I could get hold of one I would do and keep it (like the cappo) as a relict of an era when Suzuki's advertising slogan "The fun factory" was still credible.
Mick
Michael Krellowetz

Postby Michael Krellowetz » Wed Oct 27, 2004 22:49

By the way: I thought the worst car ever built was the legendary 3seater Simca Matra Bagheera Image, which was nearly uncontrollable on wet roads :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
Michael Krellowetz

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Oct 28, 2004 00:45

Ever driven a Lada? Worst car I've driven, worse than even a Morris Minor!
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Alex Clouter » Sun Feb 06, 2005 23:55

Interesting fact for all you Suzuki X-90 enthusiasts...

During the two-and-a-bit years (1996 - 98) when the X-90 was available in the UK only 1313 were imported and sold.
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Next

Return to Kissin' Cousins