Another companion to the Cappuccino and Beat ....

Discuss other 'Zukis and other Kei class cars here

Moderator: Steering Group

Another companion to the Cappuccino and Beat ....

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Nov 23, 2021 07:14

Hello, SCORE members.

I'm thinking of looking for an AZ-1 early next year to complete my "ABC" Team of Kei sports cars. (= Autozam - Beat - Cappuccino)

Does anyone out there know where I can get an English-language parts book and workshop manual for the AZ-1 so I can familiarize myself with the model? If English-language editions are not available, is there a web page I can download the said information?

As this model was manufactured in considerably smaller numbers than the Beat and Cappuccino, they're going to be very thin on the ground for obvious reasons. I've seen modified ones (fitted with Hyabusa engines, flared wheel arches etc.); but as a purist, I want a factory-original (that is, unmodified) example to accompany my factory-original "toys". :) :D
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Another companion to the Cappuccino and Beat ....

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20

I'm afraid its the same story as for the Type 3 Cappuccino, the EA21R. The AZ-1 and its Suzuki cousin, the Cara, were never exported from Japan by the manufacturers, so there is no English language documentation specific to the cars. I believe the engine is the same as the EA11R Cappuccino.

The expert in the club is Marcel Spoelstra, who has one. His website is http://www.suzuki-collection.com/.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Nov 23, 2021 13:35

Hello Ian

Yes, you're dead right! The AZ-1 uses the EA11R engine; but that's all I know about it. The engine layout is exactly the same as the Honda Beat (rear-mounted, transverse).

BTW, I did try to contact Marcel some years ago through the SCORE site for another query regarding the Cappuccino, but he never replied! Surely, there's got to be another club member who is also equally knowledgeable about the Autozam and whom I can contact (through this site); but I'll wait and see who will respond to my query. (Marcel can't be the only fella who owns an AZ-1!)

Out of curiosity, did the AZ-1/Cara ever come with an automatic gearbox? Or is the 5-speed manual box the only option for its entire production run?
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:11

According to this page on Marcel's website http://www.suzuki-collection.com/cara/01c4769584131e341/01c4769584131cb3e/index.htm, only 5 speed.

Chris da Silva wrote:Marcel can't be the only fella who owns an AZ-1!

Marcel has some other owners on his site, but I don't know that any of them are members.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:28

Thanks Ian.

I can try contacting Marcel again; but if the last attempt I made is anything to go by, I will have drawn a blank - again!

I'll give this another go and see what happens and keep you up to date on this second attempt.

Cheers. :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Jun 11, 2022 07:54

Well, you won't believe this, but I just completed the "ABC" a couple of weeks ago ........ I finally bought an Autozam AZ-1 and I'm really looking forward to having it delivered! (Yep - it's the newest addition to my "family".)

"Everything comes to he who waits", as the saying goes; and I've waited a long time for this! Looks like I'll be popping the cork on a champagne bottle real soon ..... 8) :lol:
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Jun 11, 2022 20:11

Enjoy :D
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Jan 04, 2023 02:53

Hi Ian

BTW, did you know that the AZ-1 uses the EA11R engine and [possibly] the manual transmission of the Cappo?

I only found that out from looking up the background of the AZ-1 - it was some sort of "collaboration" between Mazda and Suzuki; but the Autozam brand was an offshoot of Mazda. And during its last production run, Suzuki took over the production of the model and rebadged it as the Suzuki Cara.

During its very short production run, there was a tweaked version of the AZ-1 called the "Mazdaspeed" which can be identified by slight modifications of the bodywork; from the bonnet to the rear spoiler. And only a couple of hundred Mazdaspeed variants were produced.

It looks like the AZ-1 falls between the Honda Beat (with its rear transverse 3-cylinder engine location) and the Cappuccino (engine and transmission). :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Nov 01, 2023 02:40

Hi everyone (again!)

My mistake [about the Mazdaspeed variant]!

Mazda only made 100(!) of these variants and not a couple of hundred as I first thought! They came in just 4 colours: the original blue and red like with the original model, and now with silver and white added. In short, just 25 of each colour.

When the AZ-1 first came out in 1992, it had soft suspension which made handling a bit of an issue if the car was cornered too hard! Then the "tweaked" Mazdaspeed version appeared. Mazda uprated it so it handled much better! It had better brakes, suspension, handling and so on. In short, it was much safer to drive!

Then of course, there was the M2 variant which was a track version. Only a handful of these were made. Like with any track cars, all the inside trims were stripped out and a roll bar was attached.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to Kissin' Cousins